**Updated October 28, 2022** ORIGINALLY POSTED Oct 18, 2022
If you have questions for Executive or Committee members, please see list for elected official and contact via Red Deer Polytechnic internal email.
Trina Carroll will be handling all Shop Steward assistance, email Shop Steward to connect with her today.
If you would like to join a Committee, please contact Trina Carroll, CUPE President at CUPE1445President@gmail.com
Special committee (as noted in Bylaws below): Joint Worksite Health Safety Committee comprising of both employer and employee representatives from all departments/schools across the institution. Recently, Occupational Health and Safety legislation has been amended and membership must now include representation from all the unions. The committee meets quarterly to review the overall safety performance of the institution and provide feedback or recommendations as required.
The CUPE Bylaws Section 8: Duties of Officers & Section 14: Committees specify the duties of the officers of the Executive as noted below:
- enforce the CUPE Constitution and these By-Laws;
- preside at all membership and Executive Board meetings and preserve order;
- decide all points of order and procedure (subject always to appeal to the membership);
- have a vote on all matters (except appeals against the President’s rulings) and in case of a tie vote have the right to cast an additional vote to break the tie;
- in the case of a tie vote during elections, a second and subsequent ballot(s) will be taken if necessary until a candidate receives a majority of votes cast and can be declared elected. In the event the tie vote persists, subsequent ballots may be deferred to the next membership meeting;
- ensure that all officers perform their assigned duties;
- introduce new members and conduct them through the initiation ceremony;
- sign all cheques and ensure that the Local’s funds are used only as authorized or directed by the Constitution, By-Laws, or vote of the membership;
- have first preference as a delegate to conventions;
- be allowed necessary funds, not to exceed $25.00 monthly, to reimburse self or any officers for expenses incurred on behalf of the Local;
- be empowered, with the approval of the Executive Board, to employ necessary stenographic or other assistance for special projects or where deemed necessary, to be paid for out of the Local’s funds.
- if the President is absent or incapacitated, perform all duties of the President;
- if the office of President falls vacant, be Acting President until a new President is elected;
- render assistance to any member of the Board as directed by the Board;
- be responsible for the upkeep of the job description and job posting book.
- receive all revenue, initiation fees, dues, and assessments, keeping a record of each member’s payments, and deposit promptly all money with a bank or credit union;
- sign all cheques and ensure that the Local Union’s funds are used only as authorized or directed by the CUPE Constitution, Local Union bylaws or vote of the membership. In consultation with the Executive Board, designate a signing officer during prolonged absences;
- be responsible for maintaining, organizing, safeguarding and keeping on file all supporting documents, authorizations, invoices and/or expense claims for every disbursement made, receipts for all money sent to CUPE National, as well as records and supporting documents for all income received by the Local Union;
- prepare all CUPE national per capita tax forms and remit payment;
- record all financial transactions in a manner acceptable to the Board and in accordance with good accounting practices;
- be bonded through the master bond held by CUPE National. Any Secretary Treasurer who cannot qualify for the bond shall be disqualified from office;
- pay no money unless supported by a voucher duly signed by the President or two other members of the Board, except that no voucher shall be required for payment of per capita fees to any organization to which the Local is affiliated;
- make full financial report to meetings of the Local Union’s Executive Board.;
- make a written financial report to each regular membership meeting, detailing all income and expenditures for the period;
- make all books available for inspection by the Trustees and/or auditors on reasonable notice. Ensure that the books are audited at least once each calendar year and within a reasonable time, respond in writing to any recommendations and concerns raised by the trustees.
- keep a full and accurate account of the proceedings of all Executive and Membership meetings;
- preside over Executive and Membership meetings in the absence of both the President and Vice-President;
- pick-up, date and record all incoming correspondence on a daily basis to include in agenda package;
- prepare and distribute all agenda packages, circulars and notices to members;
- record all alterations to the By-Laws;
- answer correspondence and fulfill other secretarial duties as directed by the Board;
- file a copy of all letters sent out and keep on file all communications;
- have all records ready on reasonable notice for auditors and Trustees;
- on termination of office, surrender all books, seals and other properties of the Local to the successor.
- keep full, accurate, and impartial account of the proceedings of all regular or special membership and Executive Board meetings. These records must also include a copy of the full financial report (Executive Board Meetings) and the written financial report (membership meetings) presented by the Secretary-Treasurer. The record will also include Trustees’ reports.
- act as an auditing committee on behalf of the members and audit the books and accounts of the Secretary-Treasurer, the Recording Secretary and the Standing Committee annually;
- report their findings in writing to the first membership meeting following the completion of each audit;
- submit in writing to the President and Secretary-Treasurer any recommendations and/or concerns they feel should be reviewed to ensure that the Local Union’s funds, records, and accounts are being maintained by the Secretary-Treasurer in an organized, correct, and proper manner;
- be responsible to ensure that monies are not paid out without proper constitutional or membership authorization;
- ensure that proper financial reports are made to the membership;
- audit the record of attendance;
- inspect at least once a year any stocks, bonds, securities, office furniture and equipment, and titles or deeds to property that may at any time be owned by the Local, and report their findings to the membership;
- use audit forms supplied by the National Office and send a copy to each yearly audit to the National Secretary-Treasurer in accordance with the provisions of the CUPE Constitution.
- upon receipt of letter of offer, greet and sign up new employee;
- be knowledgeable of the collective agreement;
- maintain contact with the members to provide ongoing union awareness and education;
- sit on Executive Board to provide assistance to the Board as directed and required;
- provide communications and information from the members in the Local to the Executive and from the Executive to the members.
This shall be a special ad hoc committee established at least six (6) months prior to the expiry of the Local’s collective agreement and automatically disbanded when a new collective agreement has been signed. The function of the Committee is to prepare collective bargaining proposals and to negotiate a collective agreement. The Committee shall consist of no more than four (4) members, all elected at a membership meeting by secret ballot. The CUPE Representative assigned to the Local shall be a non-voting member of the Committee and shall be consulted at all stages from formulating proposals, through negotiations, to contract ratification by the membership.
Special ad hoc committees may be established for a specified purpose and period by the membership at a meeting. The members shall be elected at the same or another membership meeting or may, by specific authorization of the membership, be appointed by the President or the Executive Board. Two members of the Board may sit on any special committee as ex-officio members.
The committee shall be elected by the members at a membership meeting and shall comprise between three (3) and four (4) members. It is the function of this committee to arrange and conduct all social and recreational activities of the Local, either on the Committee’s own initiative or as a result of decisions taken at membership meetings. The Committee shall submit reports and proposals to the Executive Board or to the membership as required. A ceiling for the Committee’s net expenditures shall be fixed annually by the membership but, other than that, all social and recreational events and activities shall be self-supporting. The Executive Board shall be held responsible for the proper and effective functioning of this Committee. The Committee may appoint a Secretary-Treasurer from among its members (See Appendix B for guidelines).
This Committee consists of up to three (3) members and meets prior to the meeting in which elections are held to review the membership of the Executive Board and Committees. Contact is made with all CUPE members, including incumbents, to determine their interest in accepting nominations for vacant positions. All names are brought forward at the membership meeting in which elections are held. Nominations from the floor can also be accepted.
This committee consists of three (3) members and should have previous recipients(s) of the CUPE Local 1445 Award among its membership. Members of the CUPE Local 1445 Award Committee are not eligible for the award the year(s) in which they serve on the Committee. The Committee looks after the specific details of the award (gift certificate or a gift/flowers along with the engraving of the plaques). The Committee follows the criteria set by the nomination/ratings form in choosing the recipient of the CUPE Local 1445 Award.
The Committee also ensures that each nominee for the award receives a rose bowl in recognition of their nomination (See Appendix B for guidelines).